The Research and Radionavigation Directorate (R&RNAV) undertakes research and development of physical and radio marine aids to navigation (AtoNs), support systems and their integration to support the GLAs’ mission “to deliver a reliable, efficient and cost-effective Aids to Navigation service for the benefit and safety of all mariners”.
R&RNAV mainly operates from Harwich and is based in the Trinity House Offices. R&RNAV work for the GLAs, which comprise: Trinity House, the Northern Lighthouse Board and the Commissioners of Irish Lights.
The activities of the R&RNAV Directorate are focused on strategic objectives, which concentrate on the following areas:
- Operational and engineering support
- Technology/system development and standardisation
- Research and the facilitation of research conducted by bodies on behalf of the GLAs
- Policy/technology watch and strategy development
- External funding opportunites